SAA’s Principals have backgrounds in the banking, thrift, investment, life/health and property/casualty insurance industries. Our first priority is to see that our clients are successful and profitable. We continue to assess our talents in order to meet our clients’ investment needs and strengthen our partnership by adding value to their bottom line.
● Alton R. Cogert, CFA, CPA, CAIA, CGMA, President and Chief Executive Officer. Mr. Cogert formed Strategic Asset Alliance in 1994.
● He has served as a technical advisor to the NAIC Invested Assets Working Group. He is a former member of the Board of Directors and former chairman of the Investment Committee of the National Alliance of Life Companies.
● Prior to SAA, Mr. Cogert accumulated more than 20 years of financial institution experience, including over 10 years experience in senior financial management. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst, a Certified Public Accountant and a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst. Mr. Cogert holds a BS from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and an MBA from the University of Southern California.
Phone: (360) 255-2500
● Daniel G. Smereck, Managing Director, is the primary consultant for SAA’s governmental risk pooling clients. Mr. Smereck has over 20 years of experience across investments, insurance, corporate finance, statistical analysis, and information technology.
● Prior to joining SAA in 2003, Mr. Smereck was Senior Vice President and Chief Investment/Information Officer for a large, regional medical malpractice insurer where he was responsible for treasury, asset management and information technology.
● Mr. Smereck has a BS in Managerial Finance, an MBA from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and an MS in Finance from the Carroll School of Management, Boston College.
Phone: (215) 801-4275
● John P. Mohr, CFA, CAIA, Managing Director, has over 30 years of experience in the insurance and insurance asset management fields.
● Prior to joining Strategic Asset Alliance, Mr. Mohr was Senior Vice President and Client Portfolio Manager at Boston-based fixed income investment manager Income Research + Management (IR+M), where he worked primarily with the firm’s clients in the health and P&C insurance sectors. Prior to joining IR+M, Mr. Mohr worked as a Client Relationship Manager in the Financial Institutions group at Goldman Sachs Asset Management.
● Prior to joining the asset management side of the business, Mr. Mohr was Director of Investments at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts and worked in a number of finance-oriented positions at Arbella Mutual Insurance Company.
● Mr. Mohr is a graduate of Stonehill College and has an MBA from Suffolk University. He holds the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) charters.
Phone: (774) 343-5166